Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother’s Day Weekend

Last Friday I temporarily abandoned my post as assistant baby tender

May 2011 270

to travel south.  First I spent the night at Russ’s brother’s house and had a delightful time visiting with his family.  The next morning I picked up my college boy.  We first went for a delicious breakfast (southwest eggs benedict, which we’re hoping to figure out how to replicate) followed by even more delicious chocolate pie.  When I dropped a spoonful of chocolate pie on my cell phone Jason ate it right off!

May 2011 277

It just so happened that we were breakfasting next door to this store, so we went in to check out the situation.  Now we know that the Chilean mission that Jason is going to is one of the most expensive to outfit for, because he will need clothes for hot and cold weather.

May 2011 279

After our missionary window-shopping we went to my sister Andra’s house.  I could tell that my college boy isn’t getting enough sleep—this is what happened when I had him listen to my new favorite music.  (The Rutter Requiem)

May 2011 282

The next morning we got up bright and early and went to church with Andra’s family.

May 2011 323

Where I was more entertained than I’ve been in a long time.  First, they gave all of the women huge candy bars in honor of Mother’s Day.  Yay for that!  Then all over Andra’s church people came up to me and started talking to me.  And then they got funny looks on their faces, and backed away.  And then they said (every one of them) “Wait, you’re not Andra, are you???”  Several asked if we were twins.  Sure, I said, except for the fact that I’m almost 5 years older and she’s almost 5 inches taller! 

Andra’s babies have always thought we look alike, but this was the first time I’ve had adults get us confused.  (Three years ago at the beach her little Matthew spent the whole week asking me “Are you my mudder???”)

May 2011 325

Sunday after lovely mother’s day naps we all drove up to my brother Jeff’s house.  Our original plan was to have a nice picnic outside, but the weather got cold, nasty, and rainy and we had to eat inside.  We still had lots of fun talking, hiding from the camera,

May 2011 314

talking, passing Laila’s babies around,

May 2011 317

kissing babies,

May 2011 289

holding babies (this niece is the spitting image of my mother as a child!),

May 2011 295

playing with cousins,

May 2011 309

listening to the adults,

May 2011 299

wrestling,

May 2011 291

and just having a great time together!

 

At the end of the evening I took Jason back to campus and dropped him off to go to tunnel singing, where he was going to announce his mission call.  Then I drove back north (in the cold and rain, yuck!) to start my second week with these cute babies!

May 2011 331

1 comment: