Monday, September 29, 2014

One does not simply walk into Sheridan

(thanks Sam for the title!)

My brother Sam & his wife Emily have lived in Sheridan, Wyoming for several years now.  When they first moved there I looked at the map and was surprised to see that Sheridan was one of those rare places that are close to nothing.  At some point when I was planning the trip to take Josh to Rexburg I decided that since Rexburg was probably as close as I was ever going to be to Sam’s house, and since I probably wasn’t going to be back in Rexburg for several years, NOW was the time to go visit.  So on Saturday morning we left for Sheridan.

We left late enough that I was able to stop and get Neilson’s frozen custard one more time.  That stuff is the best!

IMG_1811

I decided to take the long road to Sheridan.  Had I known just how LONG the long road would end up being, I might have changed my mind.  For a while I asked myself why I had wanted to drive that way.  Eventually I remembered.

We drove through Driggs where we had a great view of the back side of the Teton Mountains. 

IMG_1818

Then over the pass to Jackson Hole—with some seriously steep grades!

IMG_1821

(It was around this time that I became aware that there was something going on with the purse cam, a smudge on the lens that will not leave no matter what I do.  I am deeply saddened by this but do think that since I’ve had the purse cam since Christmas of ‘09 and it’s had almost daily use, it’s lived a very good life.  Sniff, sniff…)

We drove through Jackson and then up past the front of the Tetons, where we were stopped (as in zero movement) for 1 hour.  1 hour, folks!  I guess that’s a risk you take when you take the back roads. 

IMG_1833

Just when I was feeling all frazzled about taking this more scenic route we drove past the Wind River Mountains & they were just as magnificent as I’d remembered.

IMG_1866

Then after we were past those mountains we drove along some striped mountains for quite a while.

IMG_1868

We got to Sam’s house very late and long after dark!

The next day we went to church with Sam & Emily and their 3 cute kids.  Sadly Abi and William didn’t want anything to do with us but Kayla was very excited to have cousins visit.  We had a great time visiting with them, Sam showed us the online video “Dr. Horrible’s sing along blog” which we’ve been singing ever since, and we played a fun new game.  Then Monday morning we loaded the car again and took off for home.

IMG_1881IMG_1882IMG_1892
IMG_1899IMG_1901IMG_1907IMG_1910

2 comments:

  1. Ok that picture of Abi sleeping on top of the stairs is hysterical! And how did you ever get a picture of Kayla sitting down? I am so impressed! We are so happy that you could come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally thought Abi was hysterical. Don't you just wish you could see into their minds sometimes? And in the picture of Kayla, if you'll notice, she is pinned to the sofa by virtue of having her arms around the girls. In the other pictures she is totally crazy. ;)

      Delete