Sunday, February 4, 2018

Mother thoughts

We often sit behind a young family in church.  I usually watch the motion of the children and am grateful for this place in time, when my kids (usually) sit still without needing my attention and I'm able to focus more fully on the meeting. 

Today, though, I watched the 6 year old boy snuggle up against his mom and watched her lean her face against his head, and for a moment I was jealous.

You see, I still love my kids like that.  I still think they're adorable and amazing.  I would love to tuck them under my arm and rest my head against theirs... But I know exactly the resistance and discomfort that that would bring.  Every now and then I get a moment, but for the most part I feel like mothering these adults and almost-adults is mothering at a little distance rather than the mothering with all of the snuggling.

I wouldn't trade.  My grown and almost grown children are so amazing.  I'm delighted by the people they're becoming.  

But sometimes I do miss the snuggles.  

1 comment:

  1. Made me chuckle since I had some similar thoughts from yesterday too.

    ReplyDelete