Monday, February 26, 2018

A day in three acts

[Normally I love Mondays.  Josh takes the kids to school and the van to work, and I get to sleep in (good in these times of nighttime pain), have a slower morning, then I walk to the max at the post office and take the max to meet him.  He picks me up and we drive to his apartment in Hillsdale and then I come home with the van, usually just in time to deal with dinner.  Today, however...today was a day.]

On Thursday or Friday an email went out from the Relief Society saying that there had been a death in the ward and asking for food contributions for the funeral on Monday.  I told the RS president that I was happy to make a cake, but that she'd have to pick it up because I wouldn't have a car and would be on my way to the max station to meet Josh.

On Sunday evening I went to the pantry to get a cake mix out to put on the counter so that I wouldn't forget that I'd promised to make this cake.  Much to my surprise when I got to the pantry all of the cake mixes were gone, having been used to make cupcakes over the past few months. 

"No problem," I thought, "I've made plenty of cakes from scratch and I can certainly do it again..."

......

Act I  Before Noon

Monday morning I woke at the lovely hour of 10am.  I'd had quite a bit of pain in the night, so I was relieved that I had been able to sleep later.  I took my time waking up, had a glass of electrolyte water and my handful of vitamins, and then came into the kitchen to start making my cake.  I googled to find a good recipe, softened my butter, and then started to preheat the oven.  Right as I was pushing the last button I had a sinking realization...Russ had used every last bit of flour Saturday night to make pancakes for the girls for dinner.  Every. Last. Bit.

On a regular day I would have just run to the store to buy a cake mix.  But, of course, it was Monday, my day with no car. 

I grabbed the computer and wrote a desperate email to my ward's women's email list. 

Sisters I am totally having a crisis.  

I promised to make a cake by 2 for the funeral today thinking that I had a mix in my pantry.

Well---not only do I NOT have a mix in the pantry, Russ used the last of the flour making pancakes!  (what a good dad to make pancakes for his kids!)

And wait--it gets better!  I don't have a car today because Josh has it at his job, AND I have to leave here by 12:45 (1 hour and 40 minutes from now) to take the max to meet him because the triplets all have dentist's appointments today!  

Can anyone help me out???  If you have a solution for my problem, text me.  I'll be anxiously waiting to hear from you.  Any of you.  Anxious...

Cindy
🙃

I trusted that the good women in my ward would come through for me and within 2 minutes my phone rang with an offer to take care of the whole thing for me, then came another phone call offering either cake mix or flour, and lastly and email offering cake mix or flour *and* a ride to the max!  I happily thanked everyone and went out to sit in the hot tub for a little while. 

----

Act II  Noon-4:30pm

I didn't leave myself quite enough time for my normal cottage cheese & frozen blueberry breakfast, so I put it in a tupperware in my backpack (that held Rachel's book for after the dentist), grabbed another water bottle of electrolyte water, picked a podcast, and took off for the post office.  I made such good time I was there 6 minutes early and didn't even have to jog at all! 

While I was on my way my friend Susan texted me with some questions she wanted to be able to discuss with someone in her ward.  I thought about those and looked for some links while I was on the max, and told her that I'd call her after I'd dropped Josh off, while I was on my way to pick up Jared and then the girls for their dentist's appointments.

Josh and I had a fun visit on the way to his apartment (and I finally finished my breakfast), and when I dropped him off I immediately called Susan.  She's always such fun to talk to and was excited to hear that I'd been to a Terryl and Fiona Givens fireside on Saturday.  We hadn't even finished covering her questions when I picked up Jared and drove him to the dentist.  (It will be interesting to see what he took from the part of the conversation he heard!)

I dropped him off, kept chatting, drove back to Glencoe, picked up the girls, drove them back to the dentist and dropped them off, still talking.  Then I sat in the Costco parking lot (where I went to buy some flour!) and chatted for 15 more minutes before saying goodbye so I could go in and do my shopping in the few minutes before I needed to be back at the dentist's office. 

I had been so involved talking to Susan that I never had thought to drink my 2nd bottle of electrolytes, but there in the last few minutes I was really thirsty.  Then when I was in Costco I went to the bathroom and I was a little alarmed at how obviously dehydrated I was.  Not sure how that happened, I'm normally (not that this day was anything normal!) really good at hydrating!

-----

Act III  After 4:30

As I started loading my Costco purchases into the van I got a text from Lorraine, reminding me that last night we'd planned to walk at 5 today so we could talk about the fireside. I told her that the dentist was running late and that I wasn't sure what time I'd be back.  She agreed to meet me at 5:30, but then while the kids and I were on the way home she texted that she was exhausted (she was very involved with the family having the funeral today) and that she was going to head back to Vancouver and would call me on the way home so we could just talk on the phone.  (My feet weren't sad not to walk again today.)

When I got home I put some rice in the rice cooker and then we unloaded all of the groceries.  When Lorraine called I grabbed my headset again and more electrolytes and sat down (exhausted!!) in my room to talk with her.  We had such a fun time talking about the different questions and answers at the fireside!  Before I knew it she was home and saying gooodbye and I was Ready. For. Dinner. 

Russ had come home while I was talking, deboned the chicken, added the Costo curry sauce, and started eating with the girls.  I got a plate and sat down with them at the table, saying with a tired sigh, "I may be out of words today.  😉 And I am Ready. For. Bed."


No comments:

Post a Comment