Thursday, July 16, 2015

Utah Weekend

I wrote before about deciding to go to Utah to get the girls' wisdom teeth out. What I haven't written about was that about 6 days after we got back from Utah I took Jared to the dentist to get his teeth cleaned, and the dentist gave me the very unexpected news that Jared needed his bottom wisdom teeth out RIGHT AWAY. I was stunned. In the fall when the orthodontist had said that Jenna needed hers out within 6 months, she'd said that Jared was probably good for at least a year. I was kicking myself for not taking him to Utah and just being done with it. (Though no one would have traveled home as comfortably if I'd had 3 kids with me instead of 2.)

That day at the dentist's office I remembered something that I hadn't remembered the day I got the big estimate from the oral surgeon with Jenna: that a family had moved into our ward a few months ago and the husband had just opened a new oral surgery practice. I thought that maybe his prices would be a little lower than the big well-established practice so I took Jared in to see him. The estimate they gave me for Jared's 2 bottom wisdom teeth was $150. (The top won't be able to come out for a few years.) I had a moment of "what if." What if I'd remembered about him months ago, what if I'd brought both girls here instead of taking them to Utah?

Almost immediately images and memories from my weekend in Utah filled my mind, and I realized that I had no regrets about my weekend. Here is a listing of experiences that I'm so glad to have had:

  • Listened to great books on tape with the girls.  (Book of 1000 Days & Cheaper By the Dozen)
  • Spent the night in Logan with friends we haven't seen in a long time.
  • Saw my cousin’s tiny new baby.
  • Had the amazing experience of going to Robby's wedding.
  • Saw my kids (the girls and Jason) enjoy being with their cousins.
  • Was able to have a long conversation with someone that's been unhappy with me.
  • Hung out with my sisters.
  • Spent time with my aunts and uncles.
  • Saw lots of other family at the wedding & reception.
  • Spent the night at Andra's which is always such fun and I haven't done since Cindy Lynn moved to Utah.
  • Went to the Payson Temple open house--twice!
  • Saw the progress on the new Provo City Center Temple.
  • Spent lots of time with Jason.
  • (witnessed firsthand Jason's roommate situation...making out behind a pillow with his girlfriend on the couch...though that experience isn't a plus!)
  • Had Jason's help with the girls right after their surgery.
  • Spent an evening with my dad and saw my brother Grant there as well.
  • Was able to focus just on the girls (and the driving) without any distractions the next day.

As all of these thoughts flooded my mind I realized--while it may not be conventional to drive your kids 900 miles to get their wisdom teeth out, it was a real blessing in my life and I have no regrets.