Sunday, October 26, 2014

The pulse of my soul

Last month I saw some information online about a survey about spirituality.  I clicked on the link to check it out and ended up signing up to be a part of their survey, and in the process to learn some things about my own spirituality.  For 2 weeks I received a survey via text twice a day at different times. 

From the beginning it was an interesting experience.  Just as I found while I was participating in the 100 days of happiness challenge, I was surprised at what I found when I was measuring different aspects of my spirituality multiple times each day.  One of the questions was always how close did I feel to God in that moment.  Many times I didn’t “feel” close to God at all, though I was able to always answer that I trusted that He has a plan for me and loves me.  On the other hand I was always able to answer high about feeling God’s love for me through creation, because that is something that is so consistent in my life.

I was also interested to see that what I listened to while I was in the car made a big difference in how close I felt to God.  I’m not in the car for big stretches of time here in Oregon—more like 10 or 15 minutes total.  But I found that while my brain was usually interested in listening to what was on NPR, my heart/spirit was always impacted positively when I listened to Christian radio.  I did this a lot in the first (sad) year that I was in Oregon and I was surprised at the comfort I felt from what I heard.  Once again I was surprised at what a difference 10 minutes of Christian radio could make.  The words of the songs were often inspirational to me, and the on-air conversation was also meaningful.  One day there was a scripture verse read from a non-KJV version of the bible that was so beautiful that I thought about it off and on for the rest of the day.

When the two weeks was done I kind of missed my little spiritual checkup every day.  And it made me resolve to work more on doing the little things that make a big difference. 

Just in case you’re interested, you can sign up at http://www.soulpulse.org/.  Enjoy!

1 comment: