Thursday, December 5, 2013

Craziness


In October I looked at the calender to try to make an evening appointment.   What I saw scared me.  We had our marriage class every Tuesday night November.   There was something every Thursday night that month.  And I was supposed to be at church two Wednesday nights.  I knew that as the month progressed the calender would full up even more. And it did. 

November just about killed me, and that is no exaggeration. 

These two pictures show how I measure the difference between "too busy" and "under control. "  Far too much of November looked like these pictures.

I've been thinking a lot about November, and the ripple effects of living life at that level of busyness.   I know there are people that are energized by a full calendar, but I am not one of them.  When the calendar gets this busy I feel like I am just racing from one obligation to the next without any time in between to be deliberate about my life and our home, and things suffer because of it. We spend very little quality time together, things pile up everywhere, and we eat way too much pizza. 

Going forward I'm trying to be more careful about our schedule, trying to protect our precious family time better than I have done this fall.  Much of the busyness has had to do with my medical issues from this summer, but I think that November has shown me that if I don't actively safeguard our time together the are many things that will appear to overwhelm me. 

This week starts something new for us--an experiment for our family.   In addition to the regular school stuff,  everyone has a major after-school activity. We have swimming every evening, color guard 2 evenings a week, and wrestling 3 afternoons a week.  Add in the wrestling meets, swim meets, and eventually color guard shows and I start to worry.  My goal is to keep the rest of life balanced enough that things don't feel as out of control as they have for the last 5 weeks.  To pace things well enough that I get my bed made, and even more importantly my scriptures read.

I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I know when things get busy I get really overwhelmed too. But not enough to do is almost just as crazy-making, so it's a balance. Breathe deeply. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete