Thursday, January 26, 2023

Scripture Study dilemma

For more than a decade, when I have been studying the scriptures it's been a very very slow study. So slow that I've been doing this off and on for 11 years and I'm almost done with 2nd Nephi. I did take the concussion years off, the Isaiah chapters dragged on and on, and from time to time have been reading other scripture. But still, it's just so slow. 

So I had resolved that this was it. That I was done with the slow method and I was going to go back to a regular reading with journaling when moved by the spirit. But because I am a little orderly, I decided that I'd make the switch after 2nd Nephi. (Which is one of my favorite places in the Book of Mormon, and if any part of the Book of Mormon deserved a minute examination it would be this part.) 

I wasn't going to write exactly what I'm doing because it just seems like such a ridiculous way to study the scriptures, but I think I need to include it.  Many many years ago I noticed that my mom had a spiral notebook by her scriptures, and when I looked at it, it was clear that she was rewriting the verses from the New Testament in her own words. Young me did not understand what she was doing at all. Older me, when Russ lost his job in North Carolina at the end of 2011, had the idea that it might be good to make sure that I understood each verse well enough to be able to restate it in my own words. Typically what I do is read through the chapter, then write in my scripture journal, verse by verse, what the scriptures mean in my own modern words. This is not always as easy as it sounds. Often I find myself using a child's version of the Book of Mormon that we loved for our children to see what words that author has used. After I am done with my "analyzing" I also write down the insights that have come to me throughout the chapter, which I keep written on a sheet of scrap paper until I'm ready to write them down in my scripture journal.

Yesterday I was working with a couple of verses in 2 Ne 31. The spirit brought me some really good insights as I was working with those verses. As I wrote them down on my scrap paper I was excited to be able to include them in my scripture journal.

And then the question occurred to me, would the insights still come as much if I wasn't moving so slowly? If I wasn't really immersed in each verse one at a time?

I don't know the answer. But it could be that I have read the entirety of the Book of Mormon through enough times in my life that going this slowly for the next many decades might not be a terrible thing. 🤔

No comments:

Post a Comment