Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Long Drive

I've taken a lot of road trips, mostly without another adult driver.  Our first road trip to Utah was when the triplets were 5, and we did it a number of times in the next 7 years.  I've driven from coast to coast as well.  Most of the time I've been able to arrange our days that we had about 8 hours of driving time, which generally translated to 10 hours of travel time.  

The trip from Oregon to Utah is a little different.  It's 12-14 hours (depending on where my final destination is) and always presents a conundrum.  We are lucky enough to have a friend who lives near Boise who has graciously offered her home as a stopping place.  But life is busy enough that most of the time I don't want to take (or can't take) 2 days for the trip.  Which means it's going to be a LONG DRIVE.  I know there are people who can drive 15 or 16 hours and be just fine, but before I started driving to Utah my longest drive time was 6-7 hours to Atlanta and that was always exhausting. So driving the 12 hours to Utah is a big deal for me.

Every time I drive between Oregon and Utah at about 5 hours into the trip I panic. I think things like THIS TRIP WILL NEVER BE OVER!! And HOW ON EARTH AM I GOING TO DO THIS?!? And occasionally I WILL DIE!!! And then I take a deep breath and keep on driving.

Here are some of the things I did to entertain myself yesterday:
  • Listened to my book on cd for 30 minutes, then decided that Russ needed to listen too so stopped.
  • Talked to Marilyn for a long time which is always such fun.
  • Watched and occasionally tried to take a picture of the interesting things I saw.
  • Listened to 2 old Jeffrey Holland devotionals. Beautiful, but not good for tired driving.
  • Listened to approximately 4,000 podcasts, mainly Gretchen Rubin's "Happier" and "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me."
  • Sang like a crazy person while beating on the steering wheel.
  • Talked to Jason for quite a while.
  • Panicked when I couldn't get the rental car to lock at Walmart.
  • Ate a whole quart of strawberries and way too many almonds.
  • Watched the sunset in my side mirrors for 20 minutes, finally stopped to take a picture because it was so beautiful.
  • Talked to Russ until I was hoarse from all of the talking. 
  • Sang some more.
  • Drank endless bottles of water laced with 5 hr energy.
  • Wished I could see the stars better.
  • Was so glad when I finally arrived!

Here are some pictures from my day yesterday.

I always have to drive through the Multnomah Falls parking lot so I can look and snap a picture.

Driving through the gorge is always gorgeous!

I had no idea that horses stick their heads out the windows like dogs do!


I wonder what that is?

Why of course!  It's a helicopter!!  (Don't you drive around with your helicopter in tow???)

 How do two trains pass each other on tracks that are literally only a few feet apart?  VERY slowly!

I appreciate strange cloud shapes.

I watched the sunset behind me in the side mirror for 20 minutes before I finally just had to pull over and take a picture.  It was stunning.


No comments:

Post a Comment