Thursday, March 26, 2015

phototropic

In our first few years of homeschooling we studied Greek & Latin root words, learning how different roots could be mixed together to form words we know today.  One of the words I've always remembered and loved from that time is phototropic.  

From the Greek photos: LIGHT
From the Greek tropos: TO TURN

So phototropic means "tending to grow or move towards light."

In Moses 6:63 it says, "all things are created and made to bear record of me, both things which are temporal, and things which are spiritual".  Lately I've been listening to BYU devotionals and it delights me when I hear a chemistry professor or an engineering professor talk about how their studies testify of or teach them about God and his plan.  

I've felt the same way every time I've walked out of my front door this past week as I witness phototropism in action.  

I think that "all things bear record" of Christ in different ways.  Some show us one thing about the gospel and some show us another.  Every day these tulips, all bent towards the sun, show me the way I should live.  That I should be reaching and straining and moving myself towards the son--because getting the most son possible will help me to be healthy and vibrant.

Thank you, beautiful tulips.  I need all of the reminders I can get...

No comments:

Post a Comment