Friday, November 4, 2011

Tender Mercies

But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

 

I have felt a corner of my mind noticing and storing awareness of the tender mercies that have happened in the last few weeks; things that have or will in some way impact our well-being during this financially stressful time. 

As I’ve accumulated them, taking them out every day or so to examine and reassure myself that the Lord is aware of us and our needs, I have been grateful to see the breadth of His care and concern for us.

 

A sampling for you:

  • As I already mentioned, the stock market was up the week Russ was laid off.  This allowed us to sell our stock options for several dollars a share more than we would have been able to either the week before or this week.  That is a mercy we’ll be appreciating—and eating—in the months to come.
  • An announcement went around the ward that it was time to submit your new food storage order.  I’d already decided that we weren’t going to order anything this time because I’d ordered quite a lot 6 months ago and we didn’t have much extra money.  When I remembered what I had ordered 6 months ago, I was a little surprised and a lot grateful.  Want to know some of what I ordered?  A big can of chicken bouillon.  What doesn’t need chicken bouillon?  Several big cans of baking powder.  Hooray—the traditional pancakes continue!  And a big can of cocoa.  Let them eat chocolate cake!!!  What a blessing that in addition to the “regular” types of food storage, we also have these new purchases!
  • I have had some strange pain for many years now.  I blame it on Jason’s birth, but it’s been so long now that I really don’t know when or where it started.  From time to time it bugs me a lot, but then usually it fades back into the background.  Several weeks ago the pain flared up in a whole new way.  Every night was a misery—I couldn’t get comfortable and usually was unable to sleep much after 3 or 4 in the morning.  In mid-October we had a ward activity and I asked the physical therapist in the ward if he thought he could help me.  He said that he thought he could, but that I wouldn’t be able to get in to see him for a first appointment until November.  When I called the next week, however, I was told that he didn’t have any openings until December.  I wasn’t too worried because the pain had actually subsided quite a bit.  I thought that waiting until December was inconvenient, but not unbearable.  Then the next day they called and said they’d had a cancellation and would I like to start treatment in a few days.  Of course I would and did.  Once I’d had the first appointment they were able to schedule me for several appointments in November as well.  (And December too, once that schedule is available.)  I didn’t think much of this, other than it was very convenient, until Russ told me that as part of the layoff his company would be paying for our insurance through December. Had I not gotten in until December, I would only have been able to have a few appointments before our insurance ended.  This is certainly not the kind of physical therapy that we will be able to afford with the insurance we will have after December.  But thanks to that tender mercy, I have the feeling that these two months are going to be just exactly what I was needing.
  • The weekend before Russ was laid off I felt as if a fire had been lit beneath me.  I suddenly had a desire to paint our kitchen cabinets white & antique them, and there was no stopping me.  I worked like a crazy woman Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  When I got Russ’s news on Thursday my immediate assumption was that Heavenly Father was giving me a “good weather jumpstart” on getting my house ready to sell.  (I’ve always known we would have to paint the cabinets or replace them in order to sell the house.)  I wasn’t happy to think about that possibility, but it was nice to think that He was aware of what was happening and helping me get things done that needed to be done.  This weekend, however, I became aware of another possible explanation.  Twice a month on Wednesday mornings I meet online with a group of people to practice working through whatever is bothering us.  We take turns, whoever has something on their mind shares what they’re going through and everyone else asks questions and contributes ideas as to what might help deal with the issue at hand.  It is typically a supportive and loving experience.  Well…. Last week I actually skipped the group.  I felt such pressure to use every bit of those last few days of good weather that I couldn’t justify taking two hours for anything else.  I spent my morning finishing up Jared’s halloween costume and then sanding & priming cabinet doors.  I thought briefly of what I was missing but was too busy to think of it after that.  What I found out a few days ago was that for some reason, last week the group had not gone as expected.  Someone had been angry and taken it out on the other people there, people who were there with their hearts open ready to be loving and helpful.  I don’t know much of what was said, but I know it was extremely painful to those on the receiving end.  As I was told just a little of what had happened a thought occurred in my mind.  Up until this point my assumption was that painting the cabinets meant we absolutely were going to be moving.  But I realized there could be another explanation as well.  Because painting the cabinets, if it accomplishes nothing else, did this for me.  It kept me away from an emotionally distressing situation last Wednesday morning.  So on Thursday morning, when Russ called with his devastating news, I was still in a stable and happy place emotionally.  A place from which I was able to be supportive and loving instead of the fearful needy mess I might have been.  And that was a mercy indeed.
  • The last tender mercy (which mercifully will be shorter!) is that this time around Cindy Lynn is a grownup with her own insurance.  When Russ’s company closed in 2005 that was our all consuming worry—how we would insure Cindy Lynn.  As I said before, he had a new job before the old one ended so there ended up being no lapse in our insurance coverage.  But before we know he would get that new job, the insurance problem was overwhelming to us.  Not having to worry about her insurance this time is a huge relief.

 

This morning during my scripture study I felt lead to read Elder Bednar’s conference talk on tender mercies.  I’ve always remembered how much I loved that talk, but in re-reading it realized how much I needed a good refresher right now.  Here are the parts that stood out to me.

I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence.

I believe I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ.

We should not underestimate or overlook the power of the Lord’s tender mercies. The simpleness, the sweetness, and the constancy of the tender mercies of the Lord will do much to fortify and protect us in the troubled times in which we do now and will yet live. When words cannot provide the solace we need or express the joy we feel, when it is simply futile to attempt to explain that which is unexplainable, when logic and reason cannot yield adequate understanding about the injustices and inequities of life, when mortal experience and evaluation are insufficient to produce a desired outcome, and when it seems that perhaps we are so totally alone, truly we are blessed by the tender mercies of the Lord and made mighty even unto the power of deliverance…

 

And finally, a line from one of my favorite songs that Diana reminded me of in her excellent talk at Stake Conference.

Hast thou not seen, how all thou needest has been
Granted in what he ordaineth…

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! I'm so glad that there is another possible explanation for the cabinets besides you moving. ;) I have loved reading your blog posts lately and am very inspired by your attitude regarding all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! I am so glad we have had the last year to become the 'best friends' I thought we were when I was just stalking you. This is a tender mercy for me. Thanks for sharing your tender mercies.

    ReplyDelete